Thursday, March 09, 2006

Hairy Lobsters and Mitten Crabs!

(They actually do exist you know)

I went and saw the band Low yesterday. So good. The show was fabulous, I got so excited I actually yelled out a request... Oh the shame. See, I NEVER do that. Really. Well, maybe I have once or twice in my life before, but I would never admit to it... Hey, wait a minute.

But the gem of the show really was the opening act. The group is called Lavender Diamond, and my god, the lead vocalist - she was the most awkward thing I had ever encountered in my life. And I know awkward people. She had on this dress that was something out of an early 80's movie, and welcomed the guests to Vancouver, which is when my friend and I looked at each other and smiled - SO AWKWARD!!! we loved it. And according to them, we have a lovely population.

Their music wasn't too bad, in fact I think because she was so awkward and the band looked like a group collected over the years (like mismatched china or something), it made the music, absolutely-hands-down some of the most honest I have ever heard. Even her gestures, which were very staged, had this almost child-like innocence to it, you couldn't even really figure if she was a woman or a child... I bought their EP. And it had all my favorite songs on it. And that made me happy.

Long live hairy lobsters, mitten crabs and good honest to good goodness music.

1 comment:

Karin said...

Sounds like fun. :) Glad you're feeling better...it sounds like you got what Dave and I had. :P