Wednesday, May 18, 2005

Some Good Stuff... (and some not so good stuff)...

I just got word that my company has an ad in the ReelWest 2005 on-line digest. So very cool... but holy shit! I wonder what will come of this?

You know I am amazed at myself sometimes. I know that sounds rather concieted and perhaps it is, but I just can't believe that in a few short months I have done so well in this little creative process. Gives me good meaning to my life, and such happiness, because I get to make nice things for nice people!

I got to finish up my ring tonight! Well, almost. There is a step that we can't do in class because it is extremely expensive to do. The teach takes the pieces home and tumbles them in a tumbler solution of soap, water and BUCKSHOT! Actually its steel shot, but really - isn't that the same thing? This process makes the pieces super shiny. I get to set my star ruby next week... should prove to be interesting. I tried teaching myself prong setting and ended up stabbing my knuckle with a bezel pusher and had a bruise for a week (note: to set prongs, you use a bezel pusher, but to set a bezel you use a prong pusher... I really don't get it). So I was really excited because I had loads of time to start and finish my second project, which is for a friend, until...ARRRRGH!

'Kay, so there is this thing called firescale? It is pure EVIL. Big, pure purple EVIL. I don't really know where it comes from, something to do with the copper in the silver becomes oxidized from too much heat something, something. The piece is pretty big, so you can see it from miles away. Well, being the anal retentive perfectionist that I am, I wanted to get rid of it. I asked the teach for a how-to method and she said only way to get rid of it is to file, FILE it all off. This was at 7.30pm. It took me an hour. And twenty minutes. I went through 2 emery boards, split my finger from the friction (thank god for callouses), and my contact lenses fell out from all the dust. But DAMN is it shiny... I wonder if I should charge him now... :P

I have fallen in love with Black Star Sapphires. These babies are grey black with a 'star' that sort of appears inside the stone. If I could, I would buy one for everyone I know, but at 50 dollars a carat, and the average carat wieght for these babies being 2-3 carats, thats too rich for my blood. I love my friends, but hey I gotta eat! I am able to get a good discount (50%), so that takes away some of the pain, but even still.. ouch.

What else is going on here in my little world? Well, I would tell you, but I'd need lots of beer. Lots and lots of beer. Coma-inducing amounts of beer. Yup - it's that great. Bah.

Oh oh! I can now officially do the Crane Pose! Yay me! (except if I am not totally focused, I fall on my face!)

32 comments:

Karin said...

Wow! Your ad is even bolded! Did you solicit them, or did they just find you through the gravitational pull of how awesome your jewellery is?

Gwynabella said...

I know can you BELIEVE IT? I have no idea why or what... but whoa. No, we solicited them... but I don't think we asked for the bold treatment... so maybe a little from column a... column b...

Karin said...

Mebbe new ads get bolded for a week?

Gwynabella said...

MEH.

Karin said...

COMMENTING ON YOUR COMMENT ON MY COMMENT ON YOUR COMMENT ON MY COMMENT!!!

Gwynabella said...

I posted to your posted post about the post that i posted regarding your post that you posted just now. phfttttttbt :P

Karin said...

Actual question: why is that step so expensive. Soap, water and a rock tumbler aren't expensive and I wouldn't have thought that buckshot was either.

Gwynabella said...

Tumblers can actually be quite expensive, and for a beginner who isn't sure if they can do the smithing, its a cost that is just too much to risk...

Karin said...

Oh, and HOLY CRAP about the crane pose. I wanna learn how to do that!!!

Karin said...

I have a decent quality rock tumbler if you want to borrow it.

Gwynabella said...

COOL SWEET HOT ACTION I WILL!

yay! yay yay yay do the yay dance... little shuffle here little suffle there...

Gwynabella said...

Now we are tied in this war of comments... muahaaahaaahaaaaa.

Karin said...

Oh, puh-lease. That was a superfluous comment. :P

Karin said...

You realize that I have to blog about this now...you might even get some hits from my blog. :)

Gwynabella said...

YAY, cos you know I couldn't be anymore popular!

Karin said...

Not with 16 comments (as of this one)

DC said...

Were I to comment on a thread, I would certainly choose one of much higher educational value on which to comment, were I to comment of course.

Karin said...

I TOLD YOU IT WOULD BE SARDONIC!!!! BRING ON THE SARDONYX!

Gwynabella said...

If dave is sardonic, doesn't that make him like a sardonyx, and so with that, shouldn't we put him in a tumbler with some soap, water and buckshot?

Karin said...

*ponder* That sounds naughty.

Let's do it!

Karin said...

I think that the most amusing part of this entire episode is that Gwyn and I were chatting on MSN pretty much the entire time, thus negating the need for ANY of these comments.

Gwynabella said...

I deny anything she says. I am SO not one to do that... am I?

Karin said...

I'll give you the last word...after all, it IS your blog. And it's taking for-freaking-ever to scroll up from the bottom now.

DC said...

I'm not sure I like the potential implications of being involved with buckshot in anyway.

I really don't see what being sardonic has to do with a type of onyx.

However, taking a tumble with some soap and water and ... could be fun.

Gwynabella said...

Whoohoo I WIN BLOGGING

Karin said...

We'd better make sure it's COLD water. :)

Gwynabella said...

I have nothing to say... I am tapped. meh.

DC said...

I'm invulnerable to cold water, I am "Perform in the cold"-MAN

DC said...

On a serious note, you should totally charge him.

Gwynabella said...

LMAO - right. I think the bill will include:
one pair of contacts
2 emery boards
1 very sore finger
6cm of sterling silver
1 gem.
1 digruntled woman who despises firescale...
and time wasted commenting on this post!

Karin said...

How did the firescale appear? And I'm guessing it was on that pretty ring that you showed us after you got your hair done?

Gwynabella said...

Firescale looks like purple scales on silver thats been something somethinged...heat something.. I dunno, I have to look it up.. you know I think the ring I showed you after my hair appointment might have a little...
THIS one doesn't as far as I can tell...