Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Oh, Hello Stranger

I am so tired. And ticked off. But we will discuss ticked off in other news.

Today's headlines! I have only 2 more days of moving hell! Thank god. I got all the last little bits of crap packed up last night. I was impressed that I had only one suitcase of clothes. Normally I would have oh, maybe 2 or 3.

Trying to orchestrate something around people can be really difficult. Especially if things can change in a moments notice. But thus far things have been going more or less smoothly.

My Car is awesome. The Audiophile drove it around for a while and he liked it too. It had been awhile since he had driven a standard, but he did excellently. I have yet to bestow the car with a name, so any of you folks out there who feel so inclined to throw some names into the mix, go for it.

In other News:

Christ. People can be really, really, REALLY...whatever.
I work in a small office. 2 people go to the gym. That is fine. I am left to answer the phones. Its common practice that someone is here in the office for the 45 minutes that the 2 people are gone, so that I am not alone, since anyone and their dog could just come in. Well, now today, the cleaning man is here cleaning. He still has about 20 minutes of work left to do, and I am told twosies are going to the gym. No one else will be here at the office while this relative stranger is here cleaning.

So I said, I don't feel comfortable being left here by myself with him I would appreciate it if you could wait until he is done.

Well, that didn't go over well.
'What, you think he is going to attack you?'
and then get all in a huff.

No, I didn't say that. I said I don't feel comfortable. I don't think that is really unreasonable. So you have to wait 20 minutes. So you might not be able to go to the gym for one day. But it seems that concern for my own safety/comfort is a real huge incovenience. And even further, what about the cleaning dude? I could be a total psycho and make all kinds of accusations (which I stress: I WOULD NEVER DO) but what about him? Surely being left alone with me doesn't make him feel too comfortable.

If you don't feel comfortable for whatever reason, shouldn't you mention it? Shouldn't you be able to voice that and not have interpreted as you being over the top, being ridiculous?

I think of all the men, women and children who all felt uncomfortable about something but never say anything. Sometimes nothing comes of it. Other times, they wish they had said something.

And why didn't they say something? Because they were afraid of being chastised.

And the real ass kicker?
They couldn't even wait until he was done. After 10 minutes I was informed that he was almost done. And then they left. He left 10 minutes later.

Thanks. Glad to see that even when you get the courage to say, hey you know that makes me a little uncomfortable, it falls on deaf ears.

But whatever. Maybe because this person has been coming to the office way longer than I have been working here, they feel that my request is 'odd'. But even still. I don't know. It still ticks me off.

Bah.

2 comments:

Irene said...

Mildred. That was the first thing that came to my head for a car name.

DC said...

Mildred is the secretary from Remington Steele, which might make it better. I prefer not to name cars... although I find some people often use the license plate to help come up with names, so that might help us out.

Also, am I supposed to be helping you move tomorrow? Or are you going to be done by the time I'm off work anyway?