Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Best music EVER.

So, after I ranted on about the crazy ex fam, I realized that I was expending way too much of my energy and should be using it for something else. So in atypical Gwynabella fashion (although this seems to be a trend of sorts for me) I e-mailed the woman and told her plain and simple to stop e-mailing me and to just let it go already. Move on, or at least let others move on. Buh Bye.

Nothing feels better than standing up for yourself.


In other news:

Calexico live is probably the greatest music experience I have EVER HAD in my ENTIRE LIFE.
Here is an interview with them in the Straight.

After the opening act (Eric Bachmann of Crooked Fingers, who was also inspiring) finishes off, the main show opens up with a solo set by guest artist Salvador Duran, a Spanish guitarist and operatic style vocalist. Then when the full band came out to play, they rocked out unlike anything I have ever heard, and with the Senor Duran? My God what a combination.

You have harmonizing trumpets in the tijuana brass style sound, stand up bass, a percussionist to die for, a superb Spanish singer and guitarist, playing such a tight set... you had to have been there. It was stunning. The Audiophile got particularily giddy when they did a Dylan cover of Lay Lady, Lay from the album Nashville Skyline. I think we even got a little teary eyed. No, I don't think. I know.

This and the past few days has made me think.

As I stood and listened to this incredible music, I couldn't help but think, if I hadn't found the strength to stand up and do what I felt was right for me with regards to the direction of my life, I would have never seen this, feel this. I had never really heard of Calexico save from what I filed when I worked at the Record Store. But I never listened to them. And it is a music that touches a part of me I feel had been left to fade away. To have that part stir like a slumbering dragon, I feel like I am evolving further into the person I always dreamed I could be. Strong, Independent, and full of life.

I look at where I am today. How much I have grown even in a year. That I can only go forward. That I have obviously made good choices in my life, because I am experiencing such joy. Even if the choices weren't all the best choices, they were the best for me, which bring me here. Where I lay my head to sleep, is where I want to be. Where I go and with those who I love, it's there and them I want to be and with me.

So I seriously suggest that you go and check it out. Calexico. And for even more stirring of the soul music I say you listen to Iron & Wine/Calexico EP 'In the Reins' - the first track 'He Lays In The Reins' features Senor Duran. It's a truly inspiring sound.

No comments: